PCOD or polycystic ovarian disease is a condition where patients suffer from many small cysts in their ovaries. This causes the ovary to enlarge and secrete huge amounts of estrogenic and androgen hormones. When this happens along with lack of ovulation, it results in infertility. The other name for PCOD is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
In Ayurveda, it is a disorder of kapha blocking the Artava vaha srotus (channels) and causing interrupted movement of Apana-Vata. Due to this imbalance Vata imbalance takes place in the pelvic area leading to various symptoms.
There is no specific reason as why this condition occurs. The most common reason is that it has a significant hereditary component that is from mother to daughter. Obesity is another reason to aggravate PCOD. This is purely because fatty tissues are hormonally very active and produce high amounts of estrogen which interrupts with the ovulation cycle. Other causes of PCOD are:
· Hormonal Imbalance
· Earlier family history of PCOD/ diabetes in family
· Insulin resistance
· Genetic causes
· Elevated level of Androgen hormone
In Ayurveda, PCOD reflects the imbalance of kapha and vata. The main reason for this condition in many people is today’s lifestyle and unhealthy food habits. Too much consumption of hormonal and contraceptive pills is also one of the main causes. Excessive mental strain and stress along with lack of any kind of physical exercise are also one of the causes of PCOD.
The symptoms of the condition are:
· Extra hair growth on body and face
· Weight Gain
· Irregular periods and amenorrhoea
· Excessive bleeding along with pain during periods
· Hair fall, Acne
· Problems of fertility and pregnancy
PCOD is very easy to diagnose in most of the people. The typical and standard symptom is of irregular menstrual cycles that can turn to be very heavy and also need consumption of medication to induce a period. Most of the time, a vaginal ultrasound is done which clearly provides the vision of both the enlarged ovaries with more than 10 follicles per ovary. Blood tests are also done as they indicate abnormal levels of hormones.
Treatment: Depending on the symptoms, kapha- vata har or pitta –vata har treatment is to be done.
Vasti treatment can be very helpful to balance apana- vata in the pelvic area and for balancing the hormones.
Lekhan vasti’s are helpful for reducing weight also.
Various Ayurvedic formulations used for PCOS are Varanadi kashayam,sukumar kashayam, saptasaaram kashayam, kanchnaar guggul, Hingu vachadi gulika etc.
Medicines should be taken under the guidance of Ayurvedic doctor. Dr. Rani Gupta, Gynaecology Consultant at SKK Ayurveda and Panchkarma center is well experienced in the field of Ayurvedic Gynecology.
Some of the diet and lifestyle changes that could help are:
· Consumption of lighter and easy to digest fruits
· Elimination of spicy and other fatty foods that can result in weight gain
· Follow a lifestyle which is simple and straight and doesn’t aggravate any of the doshas
· Whole Grains to be consumed in the place of refined flour
· Add in simple and light exercises to keep the system fit and fine
· Avoid drinking, smoking and any consumption of contraceptives.